Search This Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Fleck browser Add-on/Extension to Firefox/IE

I wrote this review (if they accept it) on mozilla.org's for the Fleck extension here:

Upon viewing the html source, Fleck uses javascripts coming from Plexo - a company that harvests email addresses, birthdays, etc. to supposedly help you keep your email address book up-to-date. I am very suspicous of Plexo. Now I am suspicious of Fleck. I made two annotations on a testsite that I'm working on and those annotation were made public. I tried to changing them to private but it was too late. I repeatedly tried to deleted those notes but actions were ignored - even though I was the author of the note. These annotations seem to be forever persistent and no way to clean them up. I even became a register user to try and delete or modify the notes - not working. There doesn't appear to be a way to filter the annotations by a specific set of co-worker submitters - thereby weeding out the public. Even though Fleck is still in beta and they have a cheap $2.99/mo fee for 'unspecified' extra features, I just can't get past the association with what I consider a data mining company - Plexo.

Hopefully someone will make an annotation tool that will allow you to store your own info on a private server via webdav or something. Keep dreaming!

No comments: